Friday, January 7, 2011

A Shack Can Be A Mansion

I watched the Book of Eli. And Eli took this poor, post-apocalyptic girl and taught her how to "Pray, like old people used to do" SO here he is, here they are, in the midst of a world that has almost nothing, and he returns to this ancient, simple act of faith of praying for your meal, and he thanked God for this simple meal, and for the roof over his head---not a home, because it wasn't a home, it was just a shelter for the night. I think of the Apostle Paul, thanking God, from a prison cell,...I used to pat myself on the back and think I was reeal spiritual if I thanked God for my house, or for food or clothes etc. But then I realized that many ppl in the past, and even today in other places-are thankful and praising God just for any temporary shelter, or a warm night, or a small meal, or simply for their salvation. I never thought of myself as being spoiled. I'm not exactly rich by American standards, but the truth is, I am rich in many ways.  I have a lot to be thankful for, yet somehow, so many times, I lose my perspective. 

None of us are making as much as we did in the 90's anymore, I understand that. BUT, we gotta get some perspective too, its a few bucks, a few luxuries some of us dont have, big deal. We are still doing well, were still surviving, we got warm places to live, some food on our tables, freedom, etc. We are blessed!  

I know we have worries and concerns. I do, we all do. But so did Paul and all of God's servants. They didn't live 'carefree' lives, they had trials and troubles and persecution, constant tribulation But at the same time-they were thankful in all things. So, while I agree with most, who think we are most likely headed into perilous times, at the same time, I do not believe we should lose hope, or be in despair, or complain and be miserable. We have so much to be thankful for. We have so much to look forward to! We have a good God, who loves us and will never leave us. We have a country which affords us many great conveniences and physical luxuries. we have some money, I do not have my dream job, but I am thankful to have work, I want to find a better job, but I am glad to have a job and to not have to worry about surviving.

May God forgive me for taking so many blessings for granted, for complaining as I sit here with plenty while others are struggling to survive. I have so much to thank Him for!

I would rather have a place to live where people are nice, than live in a big mansion where people are discontent. I grew up in low-income apartments, we didnt have a lot of room in them or anything, but ya know, we were as happy as I can ever remember.

It is so hard to explain the simple joys of life to people who are shallow and eaten up inside by covetousness and materialism. 

Godliness with contentment is great gain. 

You know what would be sweet? Is if people just shared a little bit in the comments about how and what they are thankful about and just praised God! It's a good time! It's amazing what praising can do. Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment