Saturday, April 27, 2013

What Is Conviction

 I've made some mistakes over the past several years and I want to attempt to talk about them.

Some people scream and yell and carry on about old time religion, the old paths, convictions, and standards.....yet I sense no true spirituality or holiness but instead some kind of man-made, self-righteous, skin-deep religion. So, in my disenchantment with this counterfeit--I sometimes find myself throwing out the baby with the bath-water. 

Religious wackos aside, genuine conviction is of the utmost importance. 

I will never adapt myself to man-made, ridiculous rules. BUT MANY maybe even the majority of religious in this generation have gone in the opposite direction and are trying to use the grace of God for lasciviousness. Just because you don't want to be under the rule of oppressive men and misguided religionists doesn't mean you reject the conviction and guidance of the Holy Ghost. 

Over the past several years I have completely dropped the ball several times when I was supposed to be walking in holiness. I got tired and weary of always being viewed as the conscience in every group I found myself (which may mean I was in the wrong group) and I eventually just wanted to stop being that guy.

I became so tired of feeling like dudley do right all the time...of comments like ask the pastor's son, etc. And it is true, I am NOT to be everyone else's conscience, but that doesn't mean I should abandon my own. 

The word CONVICTION has to do with being Convinced. Being convinced of the truth. The Holy Spirit shines the light of truth on us. and as we see in John men loved darkness RATHER than light b/c their deeds were evil. The Holy Spirit will REVEAL your deeds and reveal the truth and convince you of the truth and convince you of the difference between the Holy and profane. And while MANY people get ANGRY when confronted with conviction, in fact we should thank our lucky stars for the great privilege and opportunity that we have received to be free from Satan's manipulations and the world's snares. 

God is NOT condemning you when He convicts you, in fact, He is blessing you and leading you to freedom! Because when you sin you are a SERVANT to sin. God doesn't want you to serve sin any longer. He wants you to be free. He offers you freedom. Conviction is not restrictive but freeing. 

Walking in the light means experiencing the glorious liberty and presence of God, not muddied up by the presence and bondage of polluting sins and habits & worldliness. 


I'm not going to be afraid to live by my convictions. 

I'm not going to compromise on what I know is right. Now, I am very aware that a lot of people have no convictions at all. They find even the fact that I think it's wrong to abort babies or abuse children as me being an extremist and over-sensitive. People say I take things too personally or that I am very sensitive. Okay. that's fine. people can think that if they'd like to. But that's what I am. 

Years ago when I had been so careful not to go off the straight and narrow and never drank or smoked or partied etc. People mocked me. Then those same people when I was away from the Lord told me I needed help LOL the same ppl that help get you into trouble will abandon you when that trouble comes home to roost. 

So I say it is time to not worry about pleasing others. Not be pressured by others. But just worry about pleasing the Lord. And if I have been a bad example over the years, which I have at times. I ask for forgiveness. 

There've been times I have been a zealout  and followed dumb rules and there have been other times that I have not been faithful to my own convictions. In either case, God never changes though I teeter back and forth. But i want to remain anchored and founded on Him and be a better example of what He is all about. 

It's okay if you think I'm sensitive for not associating with abusive people, or for thinking you should respect the flag or stand against abortion and it's okay if you think I am holier than thou because I don't drink anymore, and it's okay if you don't like the old hymns I listen to, and it's also okay if you think I take liberties that you don't. It's ok as long as I remain faithful to my Creator. 

Please pray for me that God will help me to lead my family in a godly manner. And to be a good example to our Church. I'll never be perfect but I want to do better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment